Has your substance abuse begun to affect your job, health or relationships? Counseling services offered by Queens Consultation Center in Rego Park, NY, can help you stop using drugs or alcohol and improve your life.
Types of substance abuse therapy
Your provider will help you explore the various types of substance abuse counseling options during your first visit to the Rego Park, NY, office. One or more of these types of counseling may be good options for you:
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT): CBT helps you understand how your thoughts and feelings are related to your actions. During therapy sessions, you'll learn how to reframe negative thoughts in a more positive way and identify and avoid triggers that make you want to drink or get high.
- Psychodynamic Therapy: You'll explore the thoughts, feelings, emotions and experiences that contributed to your substance abuse problem with psychodynamic therapy. The therapy is very effective in revealing emotions you've hidden for years that may play a part in your behavior. Identifying these feelings and their impact on your life can make your therapy much more effective.
- Holistic Therapy: Holistic therapy considers the whole person and includes specific therapies that can help you resist your urges. It might include yoga, meditation, exercise, tai chi, art therapy, relaxation exercises or acupuncture. The therapies are very helpful in relieving stress or pain or helping your sleep better. When your mind and body are both strong, it's much easier to avoid temptation.
- Dialectical Behavioral Therapy: This therapy can be helpful if you have a mental health condition in addition to a substance abuse problem. Dialectical behavioral therapy teaches you how to process your feelings, develop healthy relationships, be more assertive, control your emotions, and handle negative feelings and situations.
- Experiential Therapy: Experiential therapy includes hands-on experiences that help you cope with negative emotions, enhance communications skills, and improve self-confidence and problem-solving skills. During the therapy, you may paint or sculpt, shoot the rapids on a raft or hike and camp.
- Motivational Enhancement Therapy: It's not easy to overcome the negative thoughts and behaviors that prompted you to turn to drugs or alcohol. Motivational enhancement therapy helps you change feelings and behaviors and is particularly helpful if you also have a mental health condition.
Are you struggling with substance abuse? Call (718) 459-1225 to schedule an appointment with your Rego Park, NY, substance abuse counselors at Queens Consultation Center.