Play therapy from your medical providers in Rego Park, NY, can help your child.
The medical providers at Queens Consultation Center in Rego Park, NY, offer a wide range of medical services for adults and children, including play therapy.
So, what is play therapy? It’s a specialized type of therapy for children. It’s designed to help children deal with their emotions and be able to better articulate their thoughts to their parents.
A child’s play therapy session is administered by a therapist. The therapist observes a child’s play habits to help evaluate how the child processes traumatic events or problems.
Play helps children develop coping skills and encourages children to practice appropriate actions and behaviors.
So, how can your child benefit from play therapy? Play therapy can:
- Encourage your child to take responsibility for their actions
- Develop problem-solving and coping skills
- Increase your child’s self-respect and self-esteem
- Help your child deal with anxiety and fear issues
- Help your child develop social skills
- Encourage empathy for other people
- Help your child express feelings and emotions
- Encourage the development of better family relationships
Play therapy is an important tool that is used by psychologists, psychiatrists, physical therapists, social workers, and behavioral therapists.
Play therapy is most effective when used for children ages 3 to 12, and children who are:
- Dealing with an imminent medical procedure
- Coping with a long-term illness
- Dealing with a learning disability
- Exhibiting unwanted behaviors in school or at home
- Dealing with divorce or death of a family member
- Coping with a traumatic event
- Dealing with abuse, neglect, or violence
Play therapy can help your child live a more enriched life. It can help you as a parent too. You can benefit from knowing how your child is reacting to issues and problems in your household and at school.
To learn more about play therapy and how it can help your child, call the medical providers of Queens Consultation Center in Rego Park, NY, at (718) 459-1225 today!